All material is copyright of Christopher Parker or their credited owners - 2022
The only original station on the branch to keep it’s name from the day it was constructed
is Caterham. Sadly, the original station building and platform have been demolished,
and what we see today was opened in 1899 with the completion of double track to Purley.
The original platform and station building were situated where Waitrose and the car
park now stand. The building was in the same architectural style as the Station
Master’s house at Kenley. Also at the station were various sidings, a coal yard
and a goods shed - which also doubled as the locomotive shed. These were all demolished
in the 1960’s when the land was sold and developed. Other major changes at the station
were the removal of the turntable, signal box and sale of the later Station Master’s
Centenary ticket (see Centenary page for other type).