All material is copyright of Christopher Parker or their credited owners - 2022
The story of this station predates that of the Caterham Railway Company. First opened
as Godstone Road by the London and Brighton Railway in 1841, it was closed 6 years
later due to lack of use by the London Brighton and South Coast Railway.
After a bitter dispute, and then having to sue the LB&SCR, the CRC opened the branch
line and were able to use the station in 1856. The station was renamed Caterham
Junction just a few months later.
On the 1st October 1888 Caterham Junction was renamed Purley. There were a lot of
plans in the immediate area for railway expansion and so the station was widened
and rebuilt between 1896 and 1899.
The engine shed built in 1898 still survives and has been converted into offices
for railway personnel.